Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chemo Tuesday #6...

Have I ever mentioned how much I've begun to dread chemo Tuesdays???

Duncan was pretty lethargic Sun. evening & most of yesterday... and I would have bet money that his blood counts would be too low to allow the next dose of chemo...

But the Mighty Warrior fooled me!! While he remains a bit anemic (per his usual), his neutrophils (the bacteria fighting parts of blood) had jumped from 1.3 to 10.5!!! (Guess Dr. Fidel, bless her heart, knew what she was talking about!!) So we were a go for the Vincristine today.

My baby seems a bit wiped out this evening... but not so much that he wasn't in the kitchen, under Jim's feet, whilst Jim was trying to fix dinner!!! I knew Jim was getting a bit frustrated, having to shoo Dunc out of his way all the time ~ but all I could do was rejoice that Dunc had the energy to make such a pest of himself!!!
:-)))

Right now Dunkie is sacked out between the 2 chairs in Scrap Central ~ that way he can keep an eye on the both of us ~ :-))

What was really weird this morning was my reaction to leaving Dunc at the vets', after we knew the results of the CBC... I couldn't keep the tears back! I think a huge part of that is/was worrying about his 'quality of life'...
Is he still enjoying his life, even though at times he is totally wiped out??????
And at this point, I still have to say that yes, he is...as evidenced by the sight of him rolling around on his back like a kookie dog in the sunny grass this afternoon, and by him licking my face when I give him cuddles, and by him 'dancing' when we pull the carrots out of the frig. And by him pestering the heck out of Jim while he tries to fix dinner!!
When he no longer takes pleasure in those things, I know it will be time for him to go over the Rainbow Bridge.

PS ~ to all my non-medical world friends ~ Sorry about all the medical terms. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Once a nurse, always a nurse.

5 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Yes I think he is still a happy dog!!! Great news Cuz, cuddles to all three of ya!

Tara O said...

Great news Bobbie...and I mean no offense here at all but PRAISE GOD. ;-)

I am so blessed that he's doing well. I thought of him earlier today. What a trooper.

bobbie said...

Oh, Tara!! You need have no worries about 'offense'!!!

Ruth said...

Give the Duncs a hug for me...he's a sweetie. Just look into those eyes!!

Anonymous said...

Bobbie, it sounds as if Dunc still has a lot of that indomitable dachsie spirit-I'm so glad that he's enjoying his carrots, and rolling around in the grass!


Cottleston Pie is the Taoist philosophy dealing with our Inner Nature (as explained by Winnie-the-Pooh)
To get the full scoop, read "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff.
The full poem is at the very bottom here...